Grammar Homework – due Friday 24th November

Next week, in English, the children will be looking at newspaper reports and writing their own piece based on our work on Theseus and the Minotaur. We will be asking the children to use quotations in their work so we would like the children to research the following:

Direct speech

Write a definition for direct speech.

What are the rules for direct speech?

Give an example to show understanding.

Indirect speech

Write a definition for indirect speech.

What are the rules for indirect speech?

Give an example to show understanding.

We would like the children to bring in an age appropriate newspaper report and highlight where direct speech has been used and where indirect speech has been used (if applicable).

37 thoughts on “Grammar Homework – due Friday 24th November

1. 1.the reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker for e.g. I’m going, she said
    2. New line New speaker,opened with speech marks,New line of speech starts with a capital,a reporting clause is used at the end
    3.I’m going home.,she said
    4. Another term for reported speech
    5. Use the same rules as direct speech but in reverse order
    6. The teacher asked where my homework was

2. the reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker, for example ‘I’m going,’ she said. another term for reported speech. Use the reporting verb, “say” or “said to” in its correct tense.
    Remove the conjuctions “that, to, if or whether etc”. … The policeman asked the boy where he lived.

3. 1.the reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker for e.g. I’m going, she said
    3.I’m going home.,she said
    4. Another term for reported speech
    5. Use the same rules as direct speech but in reverse order
    6. The teacher asked whKeavy on November 16, 2017 at 9:05 pm said:
    ere my homework was

4. 1the reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker for e.g. I’m going, she said
    2 New line New speaker,opened with speech marks,New line of speech starts with a capital,a reporting clause is used at the end
    3I’m going home.,she said
    4 Another term for reported speech
    5 Use the same rules as direct speech but in reverse order
    6 The teacher asked whKeavy on November 16, 2017 at 9:05 pm said:
    ere my homework was

5. 1the reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker for e.g. I’m going, she said
    3I’m going home.,she said
    4 Another term for reported speech
    5 Use the same rules as direct speech but in reverse order
    6 The teacher asked why missy on November 16, 2017 at 9:05 pm said:
    ere my homework was

6. Direct speech
    1.The reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker,for example ‘Im going,’she said
    2.Each new character’s speech starts on a new line,speech is opened with speech marks,the line of speech ends with a comma,exclamation mark or question mark.
    3.Aaliyah said,’I got a new laptop on my birthday.’

Indirect speech
    1.another term for reported speech.
    2.Use the reporting verb,”say” or ”said to” in its correct tense,remove the conjunctions ”that,to,if or whether etc”,insert quotation marks,question mark,exclamation and full stop wherever necessary,put a comma before statement.
    3.she asked what time the train arrived.

7. Grammar homework(direct and indirect speech).
    Direct speech
    Meaning:The report of speech reported by the proper word of the speaker.
    Rules:New line new speaker.
    Example:”I’ve just got a new phone”,proclaimed Eliza.
    Indirect speech
    Meaning:Another term for reported speech.
    Rules:Change it to Direct speech.
    Example:Eliza proclaimed that she got a new phone.
    Thamarat

8. 1. The reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker.
    2. New line new speaker opened with speech marks.
    3. ” I’m going home,” He said
    4. Another term for reported speech.
    5. Use the same rules as direct speech but in reverse order.
    6. He asked if i’d done my homework.

9. Hi,here is my homework,
    Direct speech
    1.The reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker, for example ‘I’m going,’ she said.

2. Each new character’s speech starts on a new line.
    Speech is opened with speech marks.
    Each line of speech starts with a capital.
    The line of speech ends with a comma, exclamation mark or question mark.
    A reporting clause is used at the end (said Jane, shouted Paul, replied Mum)
    Indirect speech.

1. Indirect speech is a report on what someone else said or wrote without using that person’s exact words. Also called indirect discourse. Unlike direct speech, indirect speech is not usually placed inside quotation marks.

2.Indirect speech (sometimes called reported speech), doesn’t use quotation marks to enclose what the person said and it doesn’t have to be word for word. When reporting speech the tense usually changes.

10. Direct speech
    1.the reporting of speech by repeating the speech of an actual speaker e.g. I’m going she said.
    2.new speaker new line , comma , speech marks
    3.”I’m going home, she said.
    4.another term for reported speech
    5.use the same rules as direct speech but in reverse order
    6.he said, he worked in a factory.

11. 1.reported speech by repeating the speech of an actual speaker e.g im going she said.
    2.new speaker new line,comma,speech marks
    3.Im going home,she said.
    4.another term for reported speech.
    5. use the same rules as directed speech but in refer order.
    6.he said,he worked in the factory.

12. this is about direct speech
    1 the reporting of speech by repeating the speech like hes going home
    2 new speaker new line
    3 I AM going home he said
    4 another term for reportingspeech
    5 use the same rules as direct speech
    6 she said im working today.

13. My Homework.
    Direct speech:
    Definition: To quote what someone had said word for word and enclosed by using speech marks.
    1. New speaker new line, Speech marks at beginning and end.
    2. “I’m meeting my friend at 2:30pm at a restaurant to have so dinner.” Exclaimed Lucy.
    Indirect speech:
    Definition: To report what someone else had said but NOT word for word.
    1. Use the word say or said for correct tense, Put a comma before the statement, Speech marks(when necessary.)
    2. Lucy said she is meeting a friend for dinner.

14. direct speech is where you repeat a thing which someone else has said
    in direct speech every time a new person speaks they start on a new line
    I went to the shop
    i went to the shop too.
    indirect speech is where you talk about the past
    they are the same rules as in direct speech but the other way
    i used to play with trains

15. 1.the reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker for e.g. I’m going, she said
    3.I’m going home.,she said
    4. Another term for reported speech
    5. Use the same rules as direct speech but in reverse order
    6. The teacher asked where my homework was

16. 1.the reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker for e.g. I’m going, she said
    3.I’m going home.,she said
    4. Another term for reported speech
    5. Use the same rules as direct speech but in reverse order
    6. The teacher asked where my homework was
    Enjoy! By Ramla

17. The reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker for e.g. I’m going, she said
    3.I’m going home.,he said
    4. Another term for reported speech
    5. Use the same rules as direct speech but in reverse order
    6. Ramla asked where my homework was

18. 1The repotting of speech by repeating g the speech such as, I
    “I’m going home”
    2.the rules you have to remember in this metgod is , new line new speaker,open with speech marks and end with speech marks, starts with capital letters,punctuation at the end, who said it and who he said it.
    3. The boy exlamained,”I’m going home.”
    4. Indirect speech is the same as direct speech but the reverse.
    5. The same as direct speech but reverse order.
    6.She exlamained that the boy was going home.

• 1. Direct speech is the oringinal word by word in its oringinal form and from its oringinal speaker.
      2.The rules you need to remember in this method are, to new line new speaker,capital letter at start of speech,who says it and how they say it, open speech marks and closing speech marks.
      3.Well help you with your homework they said.
      4.Indirect speech is the same as direct speech but on reverse.
      5.The rules are the same as direct speech but in reverse.
      6. They said they would help me with my homework.

19. Direct speech…

1.The reporting of speech by repeating the speech of an actual speaker. e.g I’m going home she said.
    2.The rules are new speaker new line.
    3.Today,yesterday,tomorrow.

Indirect speech…

1. The reporting of something said or written by conveying what was meant rather than repeating the exact words.
    2. Use the same rules as direct speech but in reverse order.
    3. That day,that day before,two days before.

20. definition-direct speech a repeat of actual words of the speaker

1.New speaker new line and starts with speech marks

2.my mum asked me to put away my clothes
    “I am going”

3 indirect speech
    Definition indirect speech is without the speech marks

4.it goes from a present into past tense
    5. she said i was working today

21. .1 new speaker new line
    .2 my mum said come off that now ” i am now”
    .3 definition indirect speech whiithout speech marks
    .4 it goes from past tense
    .5 she siad i did good to day
    the teachers ask for my homework

22. DIRECT SPEECH

Definition-The reporting of speech by repeating g the speech such as, I
    “I’m going home”
    1.The rule for direct speech is:Each new character’s speech starts on a new line.
    Speech is opened with speech marks.
    Each line of speech starts with a capital.
    The line of speech ends with a comma, exclamation mark or question mark.
    2.E.G.”You’ll never guess what I’ve just seen!” said Sam, excitedly. “Our teacher has a broomstick and a black pointy hat in the back of her car.

INDIRECT SPEECH

Definition-Indirect speech is another word for reported speech.It means someone is saying that something is something.
    1.The first rule is to choose a reporting verb and tense.
    The second rule is to change the perspective, or point of view.
    Next, choose whether to include “that or “if.”
    The fourth rule is to “back-shift” the tense.
    2.E.G.{The commentator stated that Messi scored a goal from the half-way line}.

23. DIRECT SPEECH
    1.Direct speech definition: the reporting of what someone has said or written by repeating the exact words.
    2.Rules of direct speech are:new speaker new line, has to have speech marks, start of speech has to start with capital letters, has to end with with a comma, exclamation mark or question mark and has to have who said the thing.
    3.a)”Come downstairs to have your dinner!”mum said.
    b)”Why are you late to school?”the teacher asked.
    c)”My name is Valentina,”Valentina answered.
    INDIRECT SPEECH
    1.Definition for direct speech:the reporting of something said or written without using the person’s exact words. Not like direct speech it is not put into speech marks.
    2.No speech marks, has to have ‘that’, not every word that it has been said or written has to be in the speech and has to have commas after saying who said the thing and after ‘that’.
    3.a)My mum said ,that, we had to go downstairs and eat.
    b)The teacher said,that,you are late.
    c)Valentina said ,that, Valentina was her name.

24. 1. The reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker, for example ‘I’m going,’ she said.
    2.The general rules of direct speech are: Each new character’s speech starts on a new line. Speech is opened with speech marks. Each line of speech starts with a capital. The line of speech ends with a comma, exclamation mark or question mark.
    3.He said that he worked in a factory.

25. Direct speech is using exctaly the same words. (Definition)
    Rules for direct speech.
    1.Each character has a new when they speak and open and closed with speech marks.
    2.The line of speech ends with a comma,question mark and a exclamation mark.
    Example
    Stephen said ”shall we go to the shops?”

Definition of indrect speech-
    Another term for reported speech not using the exact same words.
    Rules-
    Same rules apply as direct speech.
    Mummy said”she needed chocolate “

26. direct speech is about writing dialog.
    to much dialog can be confusing.
    that was the best film i have ever seen.

reported speech
    it means someone has spoken to you and you tell smeonels what he or she
    adam said “iam not felling well,”

27. Direct speech
    1.The reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker, for example ‘I’m going,’ he said.

2. Each new character’s speech starts on a new line.
    Speech is opened with speech marks.
    Each line of speech starts with a capital.
    The line of speech ends with a comma, exclamation mark or question mark.
    A reporting clause is used at the end (said Janet, shouted Maul, replied Mom)
    Indirect speech.

2.Indirect speech (sometimes: called reported speech), doesn’t use quotation marks to enclose what the person said and it doesn’t have to be word for word. When reporting speech the tense usually changes.

28. the reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker, for example ‘I’m going,’ she said.

The line of speech ends with a comma, exclamation mark or question mark. A reporting clause is used at the end (said Jane, shouted Paul, replied Mum). A full stop goes after the reporting clause.

“How old are you?” the man asked.
    “You’ll never guess what I’ve just seen!” said Sam, excitedly.
    “What’s that?” asked Louise.
    “Our teacher has a broomstick and a black pointy hat in the back of her car. Maybe she’s a witch!”
    “No, silly! They’re for the school play!” replied Louise, sighing

29. 1.Direct speech is the original word by word in its original form and from its original speaker.
    2.New line new speaker, use speech marks only in the speech and don’t always use ‘said’.
    3. ”I’m going to the park mum,” Daniel told his mum.
    4.Indirect speech is the same as direct speech but reverse.
    5. Always put the said at the beginning.
    6.Daniel told his mum, ” i’m going to the park.

30. Direct speech

Write a definition for direct speech – The saying ‘I’m going’ or stating news.

What are the rules for direct speech? – Always put Quote because it’s stating something.

Give an example to show understanding. The president stated, “The US will change throughout the future!”

Indirect speech

Write a definition for indirect speech. It won’t tell the news or state but it will state something a little important

What are the rules for indirect speech? Always use Quote marks and punctuation inside. E.g – “Hi!”

Give an example to show understanding. The president will state “The US will not change!”

31. Definition-The actual words of a speaker.

1.You need new speaker new line and must have speak marks.
    2.Jim John the news agent said ”Today is going to cloudy with a chance of rain.”

32. Definition-when someone relays something someone has all ready said
    1.Needs to be past tense
    2.She said that he was asleep.
    he said that she was hungry.
    Joe said that Steve was at his maths lesson.
    Reported speech

more sentence for direct speech.
    I am dumb.
    I am hungry.
    I am not afraid of the dark.
    I am not stupid.
    Jim John’s brother John Jim said “I work at subway

33. Direct speech: the reporting of what the speaker is saying.

The rules of direct speech: you must always put inverted commas. You must put the inverted commas before and after of what the speaker said. After when the speaker has spoken,you have to put how the speaker has said it. Before you put the last inverted comma,never put a full stop you can put question marks exclamation marks or a comma.

Example: “I will defeat the Minotaur!” Theseus exclaimed being brave and bold.

Indirect speech: a report of what the speaker is saying.

The rules of indirect speech: you don’t put inverted commas you report what you or the speaker says.

Example: Theseus exclaimed he would defeat the Minotaur.

34. The rules of direct speech is you have to have to have commas and you have to have speak and you need Captal letters in the name or a thing you need this ? or any thing you need . .My mum send he needs, to go to the shop. How can i go home send, my brother . How can i buy, a Dog send my dad . Why did you poot the food, said my mum. How can i play my game send my brother?